Sisters & Cake | The Siren by Keira Cass




I can't believe how good this was. The storyline was engaging, the characters were gorgeous little human beans and the cover is beautiful (gotta mention the cover). I have to say though, the original cover is kind of terrible. That font does not work, at all.

Honestly, I went in with low hopes, sure the idea was pretty original but would it be another one of those cliché love stories? One of those books where friends and family go out the window as soon as you meet a boy? Well, yes and no.



First and foremost, is the sisterly bond that the four sirens share. This is so IMPORTANT. How often in mainstream YA books do we see girls supporting girls like that? Not very often, I can tell you that (although perhaps it's down to the books I've read). From what I've seen, a great deal of womanly interaction in other books is either spiteful (mean girls), pitying (look at that ditz), casual acquaintances or best friends who read like casual acquaintances. 

Couple examples from my recently read:
Cruel Beauty where she hates both her sister and her aunt.
Merciless where she's terrified of every other girl there
Renegade where the mother is the tormentor
The Glass Arrow where she despises other girls for being 'weak'

And that's just to name a few. Yes, these are literally the last four books I read (excluding those that I can't describe without spoiling something). How devastating is that? There's always some kind of girl on girl hate, which is super unhealthy. We need to love each other! Not tear each other down.

on girl on girl hate
I think that's part of the reason I adored this book so much, just the absolute togetherness of it all. They really looked out for each other, hell, they loved each other. They cared for each other when they were sick and went of of their way to make the other ones happy. Decades of living together as teenage girls will probably do that to you - again, none of that petty hatred going on here! I loved how Kiera Cass made the enemy something external (illness, parents, being mute) rather than a dispute between people who are meant to love each other.

True, the whole relationship thing did intrude slightly. But the way it was weaved in lessened the impact. I loved Akinli with the fire of a thousand suns, because he's just so pure? and innocent? and sweet? Why must you do this to me. It's a big change from that stereotypical 'bad boy, whose only good for you'. Everyone loved Akinli, including that little old lady from down the street. He was that adorable!

His family was pretty rockin' as well (why am I talking like this?). There was no backstabbing brother, no jealous conniving sister and no over protective parents. There was just a shit ton of love and support, which was wonderful. The only truly main controversial figure in this story was the sea or Her. She loved the girls, or at least she thought that she did, but she couldn't express that so the girls would be able to understand. She could read people's thoughts, but I don't think she could interpret them quite right? In the end, she made the right decision though. Proving dedication, and more importantly, love.




The Siren by Kiera Cass


 From Kiera Cass, #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Selection series, comes a captivating stand-alone fantasy romance.
Kahlen is a Siren, bound to serve the Ocean by luring humans to watery graves with her voice, which is deadly to any human who hears it. Akinli is human—a kind, handsome boy who's everything Kahlen ever dreamed of. Falling in love puts them both in danger . . . but Kahlen can't bear to stay away. Will she risk everything to follow her heart?
The Siren was previously self-published; this brand-new edition has been completely rewritten and redesigned.












So would I recommend this book? Yes, a thousand times yes! Truth be told I cried a little at the end (because I'm a big sap, and I just found it so bittersweet), but that just kind of indicates how good it was. It actually made me feel something, despite me usually being an emotionless robot. Hold on, I just kind of contradicted myself there. Um, what I'm trying to say is normally I don't form as strong as a connection as I did with this book. But when I do form those connections, I'm a terrible cry baby? Yeah, something like that.

11 comments

  1. Love your review! I agree, this book NAILS it with the sister relationships and I loved it so much for that! This book really focuses on the love the sirens have for each other and the importance of family above everything and I think its so great for that. Their NEED to see each other happy and the care they put before themselves had me feeling so happy and YES, the lack of the negative family aspects is such a relief! I think we need more of these kind of relationships a lot more often. Love your review! And thank you for stopping by! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, I'm so glad you feel the same way about it! It's always refreshing to see someone take family values straight on, rather than people trying to create new 'families' in the space of one book. It kind of seems like an odd way to put it, but that's what appears to happen in books. The boyfriend becomes their whole life. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete
  2. This looks like a book that will make you feel very happy and in good spirits! And I love anything to do with sisterly bonds and friendships. My best friend didn't like it very much but because of your review, it makes me want to take the chance. Thanks for that wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I made you consider the book! I was actually really wary going into this, the reviews weren't all that great and I had been severely disappointed by so many other siren or mermaid books in the past. It's like no one can get it right!

      Even though I loved this book, it was for the sisterly bonds and message. The actual fantasy part of it wasn't all that great tbh. Thanks for reading and commenting Jay x

      Delete
  3. Great review! What would make me hesitate to pick the book is the cover, I'm not a big fan. But the good point is that women relationships are not treated as a means to get boys or a vulgar way to add some nastiness into the story. I'm tired of reading about women who are mean to each other, who try to ruin other women's lives, and so on. Yay for girls supporting girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I completely agree about the girls supporting girls thing, I think it's something that there really needs to be more of in mainstream media. A bit of conflict is fine (there generally has to be conflict for it to be an interesting story) but there needs to be a good amount of support from other girls as well! Unless it's a super depressing, I have no friends kind of book. Then I guess it would make sense (as long as it's not just girls being cruel).

      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Donna x

      Delete
  4. Aw, this sounds good. I'm glad it's not part of a series like her other books because I am really far behind on those books. And you are so right about the girl on girl hate in a lot of books. It's like no one can get along. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliant! To be honest, I don't think I'm going to start her series because the idea seems a little bit . . . well let's just say it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Girl on girl hate needs to stop!

      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete
  5. GREAT REVIEW <3 Honestly, did you like Cruel Beauty? I feel like I am the only one who hates it. *makes a sad face* I love all the covers of Kiera Cass's books and this one is no exception!
    Prabhleen@ http://www.booksarelife987.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. I did! It was a bit weird and fairytale-ish, although that may have been why I liked it. Admittedly though, I did kind of hate it in the beginning because Nyx was terribly hard to like. As we spent more time with her, we got along a hell of a lot better. I can see where you're coming from though! I love her covers too, although I have't read any of her other books. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Prabhleen x

      Delete
  6. This looks so good! I really need to read it!
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.