Stacking the Shelves (1)



Stacking the shelves is a weekly meme, usually posted on Saturdays, that is hosted by tyngasreviews! Click here to go to their page. They can probably explain it a little better than I can, so here's the description that they give it! Hope it's okay that I used a paragraph from your post tyngasreviews.

We are all book lovers and the need to share our enthusiasm is sometimes overwhelming. Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks!
If you’re anything like me, you are probably hoarding books and even though you are excited about your latest book arrival, it might be a while before you get to review it and Stacking The Shelves is a good way to express your undying enthusiasm for those titles!

So what books did I get? To be completely honest, it wasn't a great book buying/receiving month for me. There were literally no book sales on (okay, so there was one) and I spent quite a bit of time overseas on holiday. Couldn't really find too many affordable english books where I went :/ Having said that, I did discover a little book fair a couple of days ago - where I managed to pick up a couple of books. I also ordered a few on book depository! One book hasn't arrived yet, so I haven't included it in this list.

BookDepository

The Alloy of Law has been on my 'to buy' list for aGES. I've actually got the second and third book in this series, but I couldn't read them because I hadn't read the first! Considering how much I loved part one of these books (The Mistborn Series), I was really eager to get started with these. Although in the end, I think I waited nearly a year to get this book after I finished the first part. 

Nevernight just came out, but as soon as I read the synopsis, I was in love! Unfortunately I didn't receive the version that has black on the pages, but it's still a gorgeous book. Plus, it's a hardcover! I've only recently started buying hardcovers over paperbacks (when I have the money), because I've realised how pretty they look on my shelves AND how much easier they are for me to read. Because I hate stressing about how I'm bending the spine when reading paperbacks (#don'tjudge).

Audible

Wink, Poppy, Midnight has been on my tbr list for ages as well. I was actually considering buying this from bookdepo but the narrator(s) of this sounded magnificent, and I had just started my free audible trial. So why not?

The Queen's Poisoner was another book that I received for free. Well, I had a voucher. I don't think I had ever come across this book before I started searching audible's archives, and the cover just jumped out at me while I was scrolling through my options. The synopsis and reviews (yes, I am guilty of looking through reviews when I choose my books), meant that I downloaded it almost right away. I got the sequel as well!

The Thousandth Floor is the book I'm listening to right now. It's been described as 'gossip girl set in the future' which, surprisingly, has turned a lot of people off it. Personally I adored gossip girl (the tv show anyways), so this description made me want to read it even more. I mean, petty teenage girls mixed with floating self driving cars? Sign me up!

Second Hand Book Fair

Darkness Becomes Her was an impulse buy to be completely honest. The synopsis seemed interesting and the deal was 3 for $10, so into the basket it went!

The Lies of Locke Lamora was something that caught my eye a couple of days back. I'm not sure if you guys know, but a special edition of The Final Empire is out! It's in celebration of it's tenth anniversary, and the same guys who published that also published a tenth anniversary edition for this book. I was going to buy the anniversary edition, but I saw it in the sale and figured I better read the actual book first (duh).

Dark Triumph is the sequel to Grave Mercy. I honestly thought that they were standalone, and that you didn't really need to read the previous ones to understand what was going on. After some research I found that was not the case, and I haven't read or got the first book *sigh*.


Do you have a lot of book sales or fairs where you are? If not, where is your favourite place to buy books? Some of my favourite places include thriftshops and outlet book stores (when in England), although where I am right now, books are extortionate even when they're on sale! I think the cheapest book I can get here is around 4:1 compared to England.

8 comments

  1. I loved Grave Mercy, but haven't read the 2nd one yet. I won a copy of The Thousandth floor and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you liked it! I'm going to try and get it somewhere asap, so I'll be able to read the second book. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete
  2. Gah! This is such a cool idea and I will probably most likely steal it at one point. Also I think we are book soulmates or something??? Because almost everything on this glorious list of yours speaks to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, being book soulmates seems totally viable! It also sounds like a good, slightly odd concept for a YA novel. Hmm I wonder how I could spin that. Thanks for reading and commenting Esther x

      Delete
  3. I read contemporaries almost exclusively but my husband has read the Mistborn series (well, the first three books) and loved it. Your post just reminded me that I need to get The Alloy of Law for him so he can continue the series. And, funnily enough, I just read a review of Nevernight a couple hours ago and decided to check my library for it. Even though I don't often go for fantasy it sounds so good!

    Tanya @ GIRL PLUS BOOKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, Nevernight sounds amazing. I loved the sound of it so much that I actually went straight ahead and bought the hardcover without having read it yet. The cover looks gorgeous as well. I’m glad your husband reads brandon sanderson, he’s severely underrated as an author (or at least, I think he is). The Mistborn Series kicks ass!

      Thanks for reading and commenting Tanya x

      Delete
  4. I plan to read The Thousandth Floor soon. I think it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! From the few chapters that I’ve listened to, it sounds like it’s going to turn into something really good. Thanks for reading and commenting Kay x

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.