Absolutely Flabbergasted | The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid




Damn. This book dragged me out of my soul sucking reading slump and dumped me into two days of non stop reading. Thank my lucky stars for weekends, and for long, uneventful Fridays.


WHY YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO READ THIS
• The cover looks a bit plain, cliche even.
• You don't like science fiction.
• You've never heard of it before, if it were good wouldn't you have heard about it?
• The idea of someone being forced to love someone else makes you all squicky.
• Genetic modification just isn't your thing.
• Genetic modifications finding love isn't your thing.
• People have been complaining about similarity to other books, which honestly isn't that big of a deal to me. Kincaid manages to make it her own.
• You may have heard about the finale twist. Honestly it bummed me out a little. I understand why it happened, but I wish there had been a longer resolution!



WHY YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY READ THIS
• Because I say you should (just kidding, kind of).
• Maybe I'm just super unobservant, but hey! Notice how the butterfly has blades for wings? Yeah I didn't until my sister told me (and it severely greatened my opinion of the cover).
• The idea is kickass (science fiction with NO SCIENCE? how does that work) as is the execution
• Political intrigue, assassinations and terrifying hybrids with hearts of gold?
• This book doesn't hold back, seriously.
• Mind games and manipulation galore
• Lots of dancing and uh, stabbing. They're the same thing when you think about it.
• I'm not the hugest fan of science fiction books, but holy **** I loved this book.
• It includes love other than just lovers love. If that makes sense.
• Basically, you get to see uprisings without being one of the rebels. How cool is that? It's like reading the hunger games while being President Snow's granddaughter. Kind of. Well not really, but I hope that description left you intrigued.



If you can't tell by now, I absolutely adore this book (although I did consider bumping it down to four stars, just for the resolution). The world was amazing, and the main character latched on to me with the intensity of a dog with a tissue. Yeah, my dog's a bit strange, don't ask. To think that I had only picked this up because it was cheap! I had never heard of this book before, I barely even looked at the synopsis, but I am so so glad that I bought it. Because it kicks ass.


The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid


A Diabolic is ruthless. A Diabolic is powerful. A Diabolic has a single task: Kill in order to protect the person you’ve been created for. 

Nemesis is a Diabolic, a humanoid teenager created to protect a galactic senator’s daughter, Sidonia. The two have grown up side by side, but are in no way sisters. Nemesis is expected to give her life for Sidonia, and she would do so gladly. She would also take as many lives as necessary to keep Sidonia safe.

When the power-mad Emperor learns Sidonia’s father is participating in a rebellion, he summons Sidonia to the Galactic court. She is to serve as a hostage. Now, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia. She must become her. Nemesis travels to the court disguised as Sidonia—a killing machine masquerading in a world of corrupt politicians and two-faced senators’ children. It’s a nest of vipers with threats on every side, but Nemesis must keep her true abilities a secret or risk everything.

As the Empire begins to fracture and rebellion looms closer, Nemesis learns there is something more to her than just deadly force. She finds a humanity truer than what she encounters from most humans. Amidst all the danger, action, and intrigue, her humanity just might be the thing that saves her life—and the empire.




I'm not sure if it's come up on your screen, but there appears to be html popping up everywhere? Like, it's not there while I'm writing so where is it coming from? Uh, anyways. Sorry! Oh, and let me know what the last movie was that you've watched! Mine was Doctor Strange. If you read my post a few weeks back, you'll realise that it was the last movie that I watched back then as well. Yeah, I don't get out that much.

follow my:

23 comments

  1. I absolutely LOVELOVELOOOOOOOVE this post and if I hadn't already been excited about getting my hands on this book in the future, I would be after reading. Thank yooooou so much for sharing with us, and for popping by my blog earlier! It's much appreciated!

    Also, last movie I watched was...uh... OH, Ten Things I Hate About You. Thanks, Netflix! (I won't be seeing any NEW movies until my guy gets to town to pick me up and help me move, so old movies on Netflix it is!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's really sweet, thank you! Ten Things I Hate About You is always a classic. I used to live by that movie (probably not the healthiest choice but hey, I'm doing just fine). The tv show of it though, was a bit . . . well it went off in it's own direction. I'm glad you liked my post!

      Delete
  2. The Diabolic is on my must read list and I'll get to it once am done with the books am currently reading! I'm glad you like it and I really like the reasons!!
    Yes am afraid the HTML tag br used for line breaks is popping up in the post. Maybe HTML isn't getting interpreted properly?
    Yay! My last movie was Doctor strange too which I really liked :) Thanks for stopping by at my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I think I've managed to fix it! *pats self on back* I think my head just wasn't on straight, I should have just gone into the html and deleted from there aha - typical me moment. Yes! Doctor Strange was lovely. Benedict, was lovely. Thanks for stopping by as well x

      Delete
  3. I am in a horrible slump too and maybe this book will help me? I just dunno. This slump is so freaking frustrating just ugh. Anyways great review! I get really confused in science fiction but this doesn't sound like that. :)
    Prabhleen@ http://booksarelife987.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Reading slumps are the worst, and they seem to be in never ending supply. This book is great to get you out of a reading slump, although I guess it kind of depends what kind of books you like? If you like red rising, queen of tearling and six of crows - you may like this. Thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  4. The resolution left me pretty unsettled, I felt like it came out of no where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. It annoyed me to no end tbh, but I decided to give it five stars because I adored the rest of it!

      Delete
  5. Great lists, I love list! <3 I actually thought the cover was beautiful though haha seems classy and I once saw someone posted a picture of the black one. I think it's an ARC or special edition or something? But I was sooo interested in the synopsis and if there's a lot of stabbing than I have to read it :P I've also heard it has some similarities with a lot of other books, which might bother me, but I'm still gonna give it a chance <3

    Puput @ Sparkling Letters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There actually two different covers I think! Yeah, I'm not very observant, so my I took one look and my impression was kind of final. Until my sister pointed out how good it looked! There is a lot of stabbing, we dive straight into it as soon as the book starts. To be honest, the fact that someone said the specific books that it was similar to kind of ruined by experience a tad! I kept looking for that twist haha

      Delete
  6. You've such a unique style of book reviewing! I love it!
    Oh and I didn't notice the blades on the butterfly's wings either.
    I'm gonna put this on my tbr list ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Although I'm not very consistent. My reviews are constantly different, because I don't have the same amount of things to say about every book. High five for not noticing the wings! Thanks for popping by x

      Delete
  7. I haven't managed to get around to reading this one yet, but I need to! I haven't read science fiction in a while so this might be refreshing! and somehow I haven't learned about the end twist yet...I always manage to read the spoilers without meaning to...
    Definitely putting this on my tbr list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I have that problem too! I just can't seem to stop myself.
      Yay! I'm so glad you're putting this on your tbr list, I really enjoyed it and I hope that you do to. Thanks for popping by Madeline x

      Delete
  8. Very intrigued to read this as I'm especially curious about this ending. However glad to see that you ultimately enjoyed this book despite a less drawn our resolution. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The ending was kind of . . . well it wasn't the best part of the book. The rest of it kicked ass though! Thanks for popping by x

      Delete
  9. STAAAHHHHPPPP I am literally dying because I NEED THIS SO MUCH BUT I AM POOR. Feel sorry for me, I demand it. I am on a book buying ban until I have read all of the unread books I own (which will probably last until January tbh so not THAT BAD??? BUT STILLLL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I wish I had your resolve! I think the longest I've gone without buying books is . . . a month? Yeah, I have little to no will power. Then I end up broke, and wishing that I had spent a little less on books when I already have 50 unread books at home. Ah, the struggle *cries on the inside* Thanks for popping by Esther x

      Delete
  10. I really want to read this now you make a compelling case! I did buy it the other day at k-mart for pretty cheap so I am glad to hear that it is worth the read.

    Lat Post : http://www.teaandtitles.com/top-ten-new-authors-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's brilliant! I'm ashamed to say that I haven't actually heard of K - mart before :( Is it an American / Australian thing? Kind of like target? Anyways, I'm glad I made the book appeal to you! It was really so so good.

      Delete
  11. Love this review! I am one of those who hasnt heard about this book yet but I have to admit that now I am intrigued. Premise sounds great (even though it does remins me of other books) but I think I may give it a chance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant! You should definitely give it a shot, I didn't go in expecting too much (it was 5 pounds when I bought it) and it turned out fantastically. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete
  12. I'm so so glad you loved this one. Now I can't wait to read it! :-)
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.