I Have a Book Bias (1)



I think I'm going to start a new blog series of me talking about my book biases. Not sure when or how regularly I'm going to post, but I just thought that I would let you know! Subconsciously, I think we all have a few biases when it comes to books. Like in those posts where people compare ebooks and real books, or where they compare standalone and series. Although most of those try to be as equal as possible! Generally having a bias is seen as a bad thing but in this case, it can really go either way.




Library Books vs Bought Books

I'm not entirely sure whether this is a bias, because I can't really test it out. I think that I tend to rate books that I actually own a lot higher than books that I get from the library. Well, when I say a lot higher I mean by one or two stars, but that can be a lot! I wish that I could test this out, but then I wouldn't be able to review the book properly. Reading a book twice will always bring up some old opinions which would influence my feelings on the book even more. I probably would have rated it in my head by then anyways.

This is a PROBLEM guys! How am I supposed to know how I actually feel about the book? I feel like I'm being unfair towards them, but I really can't help it. I think it has something to do with spending money and taking up space for the books that I own, but being able to get the library books for free (I don't pay for a membership) and return them any time I like. *sigh* Anyways, I think I became aware of this problem when I rated three library books a hell of a lot lower than the books that I owned. Yet when I thought about it, there wasn't really any difference in the amount of things that I liked and the amount of things that I didn't like? Yeah, I was kind of disappointed with myself.


Totally off topic, but have you watched Doctor Strange yet? Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing in it, although I didn't think the movie was as good as some of the Captain America ones. The cgi was really cool though. It reminded me a little bit of inception!

6 comments

  1. Hmmm, well I don't know if I'm biased when it comes to library vs. bought books because I don't borrow books from my library (not worth the trouble) but what I can say is that I tend to pay less attention to the books I purchase than the review copies I get.
    Maybe you feel that way because of the urgency of reading them and not taking your sweet time? It could be because of the pressure! Maybe. :)

    Melissa @ The Reader and the Chef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely possible, yeah! Although part of the problem with me getting out library books is the fact that I forget that I do actually have a deadline. I have a tendency to overload myself when it comes to books, so perhaps it just makes me feel a little stressed in that aspect. Thanks for reading and commenting Melissa x

      Delete
  2. Maybe it has something to do with expectations? I mean, in my case I would buy books when I am already pretty sure I will love them. Whereas library books are for those books where I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll like them. So with bought books it would feel a bit like 'Yes, this is great, I KNEW IT!' and with library books it would be more like 'Oh well, this was better than I thought it would be' and that difference in feeling is what influences the rating? Just brainstorming here :)
    Also, I haven't seen Doctor Strange yet, but I hope to do so soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably! It's the same when I go to super cheap books fairs, sometimes I just put random books into my basket because I can. So that always lowers my expectations for them (especially when I take a look at all of the reviews on goodreads). Doctor Strange was brilliant! Although I'm partly saying the because Benedict Cumberbatch was in it, the plot could have been a tad better. I feel a little underwhelmed to be honest. Thanks for commenting Lindsey x

      Delete
  3. I definitely have a bias when it comes to some things, but I've never thought about an owned vs library book. I think I generally give them the same weighting/ consideration, but I'm definitely more open to DNFing a library book.

    I just got out of exams so didn't even realise Doctor Strange was even out! I need to go see it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I always have slightly less motivation for reading books from the library. Although, I haven't been avidly tracking the books that I DNF as of now, it's safe to say that a great deal of them were either free ones or from the library. Hope your exams went well Bec!

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.