Girls with Gorgeous Dresses | Books I DNF

I have this problem where I pick up a book, and then put it down after three pages. Some call it a short attention span, I call it 'time to stop reading, and start doing nothing'. Yeah, I'm describing a reading slump and my utter boredom with eveything (which appears to be happening a lot more now that school work is keeping me up at night). The fact of the matter though, is that I will probably get back to these three pages books in the near future. Having said that, here are a few books that I WON'T being going back to (and yeah, I read more that three pages of these).






















Book: The Treachery of Beautiful Things
Author: Ruth Frances Long 
Source: Ebooks

Why I didn't finish this Book;
1. The first few chapters didn't entice my attention, at all. It seemed very dragged out and like we were going nowhere.
2. The main character feels a bit pathetic. She whines, while that could be a trait that helps readers connect, this was done poorly and made me dislike her.
3. I didn't enjoy the writing. The prose was somewhat choppy and I felt myself realising more and more that I was just looking at a screen, as opposed to be completely absorbed in the story.
4. Jack enters the picture and it's like he falls in love with the main character straight away. Leaves little room for any relationship development.

What Could Have Made Me Stay;
1. The brother. From the little tidbits that we get from her, Tom seems like someone you would read a story about.
2. It sticks to fairy tale rules quite well. The whole 'don't eat faerie food' idea and the fact the it has Puck prancing around the pages.



Book: Alice in Zombieland 
Author: Gena Showalter
Source: Library

Started reading this book because I was under the impression that it was going to be a fairy tale retelling, while there were some aspects, they were minimal.

1. Instant noodles love. Apparently the first time she see Cole she falls head over heels with him, without a conversation or him even acknowledging her.

2. It reads more like a high school melodrama then a Zombie action fest. There's a lot of bitching but the actual zombie scenes seem kind of jerky.




red queen anyone? go to my society6!
Do you keep note of the books you don't finish? I generally don't (ironic since I just made a post about books I haven't finished), because I usually don't want to waste anymore time on them. I guess I must have been in a bitter mood when I wrote these reviews, huh


follow my:

14 comments

  1. Be happy you dnf'd Alice. That book was made of nothing but lies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha oh wow, that sounded almost lyrical!

      Delete
  2. I love the covers of both of these. I'm sorry you ended up DNFing them! It sounds like you had solid reasons. I hate it when a beautiful cover ends up being not a great book!
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are gorgeous! They're probably what drew me to the books in the first place actually, I'm always a sucker for pretty covers. I agree, it's especially disappointing when the insides don't match the outsides. WHY CAN'T THEY BE PRETTY ON THE INSIDE A WELL??

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear you are in a reading slump! I hope it ends soon. I was looking forward to Alice in Zombieland.. but I hate instant love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Instant love really gets on my nerves sometimes, not only is it unrealistic but it doesn't say very good things about the characters either. Thanks for popping by Kara x

      Delete
  4. Surprisingly, I don't finish maybe one book a year (out if 50-100). I always try to stick to a book I've chosen to read because there was this one that got good only after 250 pages (I'm serious) and then stayed the best book of the whole year. So I guess that taught me a lesson about persistence :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, I really admire your resilience! I suppose I just don't have the patience, since I barely get any time to read anyway. Better spend it enjoying myself rather than forcing my self through. I'm so glad that you managed to push through and find your best book of the year!

      Delete
  5. I tryyyyy to keep track of the books I DNF. But usually what happens is that I don't end up coming back to them. I do have a DNF shelf on my GR though!

    I haven't read the two books you have DNFed though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yes, that's smart! I have a dnf shelf on my goodreads as well but I never seem to remember to use it. I should probably get on that!

      Delete
  6. I DNF soooo few books that the list is right in my head hah. BUT I wish I could DNF more frequently, since 9 times out of 10, the book ends up being terrible when I have contemplated finishing it. Shame that they were not great though, since I agree that the covers are super pretty- but they sound like they are definitely not worth finishing, so good for you for stopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really admirable! I wish I had the resolve to sit through books that are kind of iffy, but I feel that if I do that, then I'll drop into a reading slump. I'm not very good at doing things that I don't like C: Often I think that it's a little bit problematic that I dnf some books, although I tell myself that I'm going to go back to them sometime in the future.

      Delete
  7. I have this thing where I just can't DNF books haha. But I'm so jealous of anyone who can, becuase it saves so much time and energy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read nothing but negative reviews about Alice in Zombieland. When you try to write a retelling of such a beautiful story by adding zombies, it's just ruined from the beginning!

    PS: arrrgh! Reading slumps suck!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.