5 Reasons Why I Hate Goodreads



Although I might seem like a huge grouch in this post and the title is super misleading, I actually really love goodreads. Promise. However, as with all things we love, we have to be able to see their faults as well as recognise the good things about it. Although having said that, I’m mostly complaining about people, not the actual website itself. Bear with me?




People who can’t tag their spoilers
 photo tumblr_ohmy4jnrCf1vmrigyo1_400_zpsfeqp6kue.gifThis annoys me to no end. Spoilers are literally the number one reason that I don’t read books that I really wanted to. So if you’re one of those people who doesn’t warn others before hand, I hate you. Sorry, that was rather harsh. I dislike you. Recently someone requested me as a friend. ‘Sure,’ I thought. ‘We seem to have similar taste in books, why not. Hey look! She even posts some of her own reviews.’ Little did I know. I got to the review, and the first sentence was alright. ‘This had a lot of plot twists.’ Gosh, really? Better read on to see your reaction to these plot twists . . . oh never mind. You just TOLD me about the big plot twist (+ all of the little plot twists) and ruined the entire book for me. Thanks. 

People who are unnecessarily rude
 photo tumblr_npoebaGyU31s2wio8o1_500_zpsr7kmidbv.gifI get that maybe it wasn’t your favourite book of the year. Heck, maybe it was even your worst. But unless it offended you (I don’t mean the writing was so terrible that you felt offended), insulted you or made you feel like you were worthless - then I think some amount of civility is in order. People don’t deserve to get death threats just because they’re bad at what they do, unless they’re putting other’s lives at risk. Fiction authors do this all the time, but they’re *gasp* not real people. They’re characters • (don’t tell your mum I told you that).
    
       • unless of course it’s ‘based on a real story’.

1 Star, 2 words.

 photo tumblr_ohkojnswJO1s2wio8o1_500_zpsirjlcvos.gifIf you’re going to write a review, at least make an effort to fully articulate yourself. ‘It sucked’ doesn’t help anyone. You may as well have just not written anything, because you would have gotten across pretty much the same message to if you had just left it at the star rating. I would much rather have my goodreads feed full of people discussing books, colourful reviews and rants. If there’s a plan to add a review later, or post something about it on your blog; then I understand. Apart from that though, if you’re one of the people who do this please EXPLAIN YOURSELVES. Haha get it? Because you only use two words? But also I want to know why you do it? Meh, not my finest hour. 

Random, out of the blue and totally irrelevant book recommendations.
 photo tumblr_ogg8wntRfY1tokco0o1_400_zpswvm3gz60.gifI don’t want to read about mathematical theories, thank you. People tend to recommend me really good books. I have some lines in my bio about which genres I prefer, and which books are my favourites. Thank you to everyone who takes note of these. However, there are some people I’m sure, who are just out to promote their own books. Even if they’re something that I wouldn’t read in a million years. Why do you do this? Now I’m going to be on the lookout for your name AND if you decide to read a book that is to my tastes, I’ll probably ignore it because of that one time that you got me excited by a notification, only to dash my hopes and dreams. 

Accepting a friend, only to find out that they don’t speak english.
 photo tumblr_nrxwhw5PHF1tq4of6o1_400_zpsnqg7vu6p.gif

I mean, I’m all for that international literature and all of that; but why would you add me if you don’t speak the same language as me? I guess I could be my fault, maybe I didn’t click on ‘compare books’ or something like that. Or maybe I did, and I saw that we had 20 books in common, only to get a sad surprise when my feed gets clogged up with things that I don’t understand. Then I go to your profile and find out that the most recent english book that you’ve read was five years ago. Like???? Please don’t do this to me my loves. I'm being selfish, I know. 




 💫 society6
Do these things annoy you too? Or am I just being petty? Not going to lie, it's probably a mix of both. I do love goodreads though, its one of the only bookish platforms that has an active user base and has literally been here forever. If you ever want to read some of my reviews that I don't post on here, you can find them there.

follow my:

18 comments

  1. Hahah they annoy me too! But those aren't the most annoying to me. The things that I hate about GR is mostly due to technical bugs, such as shelving a different edition of a book when I type it into my currently reading, or not being able to track my book rereads (sad!). So maybe I'm the petty one for being annoyed by these little things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! The shelving a different edition of the book really gets to me too, ugh, can't believe I forgot to put it in my list. It always bugs me, especially since I need to keep track of the pages for school – and different editions have different lengths. ARGH!

      Delete
  2. Agh some of these really annoy me. But not the last one! I know a lot of GR users who don't seem to actively speak English, but they still might read it! So they might enjoy reading English reviews, but prefer doing their own reviews in their own language. Just a though. :)

    OMG THE SPOILERS THOUGH. And I hate how rude people are...gawd the amount of times I've been absolutely insulted and sworn at and basically murdered all over Goodreads because some ridiculously immature person doesn't understand we don't all have to like the same books?!? It's ridiculous. Hopefully people get more mature eventually.😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand that they might still read books in english, although since I don't read their language I would rather that they follow me rather than friend me! Unless they want to chat or something, in which case I would totally be down c: I'm selfish I know, but my feed is already too messy for me to handle (not really a huge fan of the layout), and I don't want to add anything else to it!

      Exactly! People seem to forget that not everyone is the same person, and that we all have our own likes and dislikes :D It seems a little ridiculous to insult people over things like that. It's like if I were to start swearing at someone because they like chocolate ice-cream, and I don't.

      Delete
  3. Goodreads is definitely one of those sites that I love and hate in equal measure. It's filled with terrible things I hate, but then it's great at organising my shelves, keeping track of what I have read and what to read and basically keeping my reading slightly organised. I think the thing which annoys me most isn't the spoilers or anything, it's the fact I can't reread books on there. That is my biggest frustration and I will never get over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, it's the only place I found that can organise my shelves the way I want it to. If there are any other apps that try and do the same thing, they're even more complicated and messy – which is something that I'm trying to avoid. Rereading books is always an issue! I know the have that little tab where you can say how many times you've read this particular book, but it doesn't let you post separate reviews / indicate that they're from different times which annoys me!

      Delete
  4. omg yes hahahah I don't get any rude people commenting on my reviews, but all the other ones YES. I personally don't like getting recs because 10/10 it's never a book I would read? Like, how do they come up with what to recommend me? OH AND YES I was more than "this book sucked" with a 1-2 star review -_-

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg yes about the recommended books. Where do they come from? I've never read one that's been recommended because they always look awful and have awful reviews. Just leave me alone and let me find my own books, or do a better job recommending! Great post, I love your GIF's. Personally I feel GIF's aren't appreciated enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! 99% of them make absolutely no sense, although I have gotten the occasional gem from a few of my goodreads friends. Thank you for commenting on my gif usage aha, I really should use them a bit more. It's really fun, but I always forget to do it!

      Delete
  6. Agreed! I've been thinking about quitting Goodreads also, but I can't manage to get myself to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard! Do you know any other alternatives to it?

      Delete
  7. Ugh. Goodreads can be a real pain in the *** sometimes lol XD The spoilers annoy me upto no END. There was this friend of mine and on her review someone commented a spoiler. I explained nicely, and then the girl who actually wrote the review said that it didn't really matter. LIKE HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?? And when I have to reread a book, and there is no reread option :/ Shelving also irritates me tons!
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's so annoying ugh, the spoilers thing can really mess up my reading. I mean, I don't really want to continue the book if I already know what happens? I think that kind of happened to me with TRC. I was looking up all of these gorgeous edits on tumblr, and I just didn't realise that they were spoilers – ergo I barely read half of the first book. Although I'm not sure if thats completely because of the spoilers, or if I just wasn't a huge fan of the writing.

      Delete
  8. OMG YES TO PEOPLE WHO DON'T USE SPOILERS TAG!! I've lost track of the times I got unsolicitedly spoiled on goodreads. One time a reviewer offhandedly mentioned the death of the main character and I was like... I've reached the point when I don't even want to read ANY reviews of books I plan to read :( but the other points don't annoy me as much hehe I never had trolls on goodreads :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally understand where you are coming from! Not everyone on Goodreads necessarily knows how to use Goodreads, which makes it harder to make friends and avoid spoilers. I know this is picky, but I really hate that Goodreads doesn't have half stars as a rating option. Sometimes, the standard 5 star system is not specific enough to accurately describe my feelings. But, I do have to give them credit since they just added a way to count re-reading books. I never thought it was going to happen. So who knows, maybe half stars are on the way?

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my god! yes, yes yes!! i agree with every point. i've read so many spoilers thanks to goodreads and people not adding warnings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally relate to a lot of these reasons. Great post!
    Megan @ http://wanderingsofabookbird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't agree more with you! Particularly, with your first reason. I while ago, I decided that I would not check my future reads on Goodreads, mainly because people give away spoilers as if they were saying 'hello'. And that just pisses me off! I've lost the opportunity to read a few books that sounded really interesting, just because I made 'the mistake' of checking GR first, and found some major spoilers *aaargh!*

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.