Underrated Books You NEED to Read



There are so many wonderful books out there. Too many, actually. I just searched it up and apparently there are 129, 864, 880 books in the entire world. That’s nearly 130 million! Taking into account that the average human being lives for around 80 years and dividing that by 130 million . . . uh, you know what? I’m no good at math, but rest assured, I would have to be a superhero of some sort to be able to finish all of those books.


Maybe that’s why we all seem to gravitate towards all of the ( over ) hyped books that everyone is reading. It’s hard to weed out books you’ll like, so you find books that other people seem to like and figure that you’ll probably like it too. The issue with that is so many people are doing it! There is rarely any time to sneak in the rare gem, that so many people are missing. It’s their time to shine now. 

I’m joining up with the gals at Brooke and Bookish for a Top Ten Tuesday post! I know how some of these can get a bit repetitive but I hope you enjoy reading mine c:



Ask the Passengers ★★★
lesbains, love, lost love, light read
I think this is my second (?) contemporary book which deals with LGBT lifestyles. Now that doesn't sound like very much but considering I've only really read six contemporary books that I can recall . . . it's really not that bad! I should probably start reading more contemporary though. It's not something I usually pick up, but when I do I generally really enjoy them.

The Vault of Dreamers ★★★★
mystery, science fiction, cute boys in aprons
A reality show in school? I'm worried enough about my grades now without having to worry about what countless, unnamed people over the interweb think of me. Although being a teenager, we tend to think that everyone's watching us anyway. This just kind of brings it to life!



Another Faust ★★★★
betrayal, deals with the devil, petty backstabbing
I am forever apologies, but do you speak of moving picture show?
No, the book is not written like that (thank god), but it's just a little quote that made me fall completely and irrevocably in love with Bicé. Which is kind of odd since the whole book is meant to be about the ugliness of human nature, more on that in the third part of my review.On the whole review topic, how the hell does this have such negative reviews? Like yeah it has it's flaws but it wasn't that bad.

We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves ★★★★★
makes you think, mindfuck
This book made me cry. The striking reality of the things that go on in this book, I'm sure, will stay with me. If you are thinking about reading this book, it's probably best not to read through too many reviews, just in case they give things away.



Renegade ★★★★★
looks can be deceiving, real teenagers
I started off this book bored, not really expecting too much from the over the top sweet cover – despite having a pretty kickass blurb. Have I ever been so wrong? The first chapter, the first chapter met my terrible expectations, but please please read to the second. What the author does is so clever, and honestly quite impressed me (although I was reading this late at night). Just read the first two chapters before you make up your mind, because I guarantee this book will mess you up.

She is Not Invisible ★★★.5
blindness, little boys with stuffed animals, discusses racism
I wasn't quite sure what to expect going into this. The blurb kind of made it sound like there was going to be a little bit of a thriller / mystical element to this book, but it seemed to be a little watered down. Hence the reason I've created a shelf called 'middle grade' as it seems to fit that category a little better than young adult. Having said that, it was a really cute story!



The Siren ★★★★★
sisterly bonds, cooking, mermaids
I can't believe how good this was. The storyline was engaging, the characters were gorgeous little human beans and the cover is beautiful (gotta mention the cover). I have to say though, the original cover is kind of terrible. That font does not work, at all.
Honestly, I went in with low hopes, sure the idea was pretty original but would it be another one of those cliché love stories? One of those books where friends and family go out the window as soon as you meet a boy? Well, yes and no.

Made You Up ★★★★★
discusses schizophrenia, real mums, realistic beauty standards? 
I've only got four contemporary books on my shelf, that's probably the same amount of contemporary books that I've read in my life. I've never really been a fan of the real world, there are too many tropes that appear too many times. But I'll be damned if this wasn't one of the best books I've read let alone one of the best contemporary books. Scratch that, the four I've read were frickin amazing. I really need to start reading more stories about real life.



The Chaos of Stars ★★★★
a pixie cut styled in a feminine version of the faux hawk, couple who are still their own people
The little interpreted stories at the beginning of each chapter (no they don't take up page space, they're written quite small) are gorgeous. They help with character building and make the books look brilliant. There are also grey pages solely for dream description, which are equally as great.

City of Halves ★★★.7
snarling dogs, hacker girls, kind of like the mortal instruments?
There was such a variety of characters, I sometimes forgot that we were in London. True, sometimes remembering all of their names can be a hassle (especially once you've left the book for a while and then come back), but I think the diversity really enriches the story which would have been rated a lot more harshly if there wasn't any. There were some stereotypes, like the Indian man running a convince store, but he was also kind of a badass which may or may not make up for it.



 💫 society6
So do you have any books that you think other people should read? Look at my photo of "The Chaos of the Stars"! I'm really proud of that tbh, even though it was the easiest one to make. I just can't seem to lay out photos very well?? Do you have any tips on book photography? Let me know what you think about my new template as well! I'm not that sure about it tbh

follow my:

16 comments

  1. I really liked Ask the Passengers! I usually love A.S. King's books. She's an amazing author. I really need to read Chaos of the Stars. I really like Kiersten White's books. I remember when Another Faust was released, but I never got around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any other of A.S. King's books but now I think I'll have to! Chaos of the stars was really lovely to read, even though it was a little shorter than most books. Although I guess that could be a positive as well! Another Faust was really fun to read :D

      Delete
  2. Ohhh I LOVE Made You Up as well!! I think it's amazing and extremely underrated �� Ive been eyeing Ask the Passengers and AS King's book for a while but haven't really picked up any. And yesss your picture of The Chaos of Star is GORGEOUS!! The cover itself is already so beautiful though hahaha also I'm a HUGE fan of YA contemporary so if you ever need recs, I'll be happy to give you some :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yay! It's super underrated though, I've barely seen it on my feed. I suppose it could have something to do with it being an 'older' book? Ask the Passengers has the potential to be really good, although it did have some problems! I did enjoy reading it though. Thank you!! The cover is super gorgeous to begin with, and if I decide on taking more contemporary up I will definitely come to you!

      Delete
  3. The Vault of dreamers is one I've seriously thought about. I think the sequel is out too, and those covers are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I really want to get the sequel but for some reason the paperback isn't available on bookdepo?

      Delete
  4. Nice list of books. Many new book titles for me to check out!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-ten-underratedhidden.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved She Is Not Invisible, had one or two of these on my TBR but I've added some more thanks to your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm super happy that you've found some more books, let me know which ones so we can chat about them (if you want)

      Delete
  6. She Is Not Invisible and Made You Up are both on my TBR, glad to hear you enjoyed them!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/01/17/top-ten-tuesday-92/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Chaos of Stars has a beautiful cover and I love Kiera Cass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It's such a beautiful cover, the colours are such good picks c: I've only ever read one of Kiera Casses books, this one, but I did really love it!

      Delete
  8. I really love both Made You Up and Ask the Passengers. You descriptions of Renegade and Chaos of Stars got me interested in both. I really like how you give a sense of the book without giving away anything about the plot--most people know to avoid spoilers, but I really like to go into a book knowing as little as possible--just enough to want to give it a try. And I just read and loved my first Sedgewick, so She Is Not Invisible is definitely on my TBR too.

    I'm not a bookstagrammer AT ALL, but I found your pictures to be creative--I actually liked your Another Faust shot best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's really great to see some books on here I'd almost removed from my to read list because I'd heard little about them. I think I may just have to treat myself to Vault of Dreamers, Ask the Passengers and The Chaos of Stars now. They sound like they're books worth a little bit of my time anyway. Thanks for making me thinking twice on giving up on some books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh the Chaos of Stars looks good! Totally adding this to my Goodreads

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yess that Chaos of Stars photo is GORGEOUS haha. You should be proud of it. And is it sad that I have read none of these except Made You Up? (Which was fantastic, and I should get a physical copy of it someday). I didn't know The Siren was underrated. I guess it was her first book (??) after all!

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.