If You Do This, We Can't Be Friends



I thought I'd take a little break from the books (I mean, aside from my other break that I haven't really addressed. I was volunteering in Thailand, sorry! ) and have a little chat about something that's becoming more and more common.


By now, I'm sure you're familiar with the concept of 'roasting' people that you're close to. It's basically making fun of someone, but you're friends so it's generally seen as alright. I have nothing against people doing this! I do this with my friends all the time. However I do think you have to be careful when it gets a little too real.

While it may not seem like it, some people do take certain things to heart, depending on what their insecurities are. It is different for everyone, but I've made a little list on some things that you probably shouldn't tease you're friends about too much.

Their Smile


I honestly don't understand why you would make fun of someone for the way they smile, but I know that some people do it. I just think that when someone smiles it's a beautiful thing – and to make them feel insecure about their happiness and the way that they express that, is a little bit low. You can't really help the way that you smile. It's an automatic reaction!

ps. does not include that weird smile that you make when confronted with extreme awkwardness

Their Laugh


Same thing as the smile. It's an automatic reaction, you can't really change how you laugh!!

Their Goals for the Future


If they say they want to be a clown and they're really into it, just let them be. I mean sure, you can try and advise them about things but if you can't stop yourself from laughing whenever it gets brought up – maybe just don't bring it up. Try not to make fun of people's dreams lest you turn their dreams into a nightmare.

Their Intelligence


Before you get all up in arms about how you call your friends stupid playfully, yeah I get that. I totally understand. If it's a joke between two friends then it's totally alright! What I do feel a little iffy about however, is when you can see that someone is genuinely struggling with their work and then gets teased about it.

Maybe they'll laugh back, but they really isn't anything funny about getting 23% and then being told you're 'too dumb to function' by someone who's supposed to be their friend. Unless you know that they flunked on purpose, think before you speak.

follow my:

Don't forget to subscribe by email please!

5 comments

  1. This is a great post! I agree that good-natured teasing among friends is fun, but these are four things that really shouldn't be made fun of. Like you said, making someone feel insecure about their happiness and expressing it is low. And making fun of peoples goals and dreams is low too. And it's just not nice to make fun of someone's intelligence. In a similar thread, there are times when someone doesn't know what something is and then someone else will be like, "What?! How do you not know what ____ is? Everyone knows what ____ is!" and that kind of reaction isn't helpful, but it happens so often that sometimes people will pretend to know what someone's talking about to avoid being treated that way, you know? But it's really simple to just explain if someone does ask and then keep talking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! People making a big deal out of you not knowing anything is the worst. It might not seem like an issue with the person who's doing it, but to the people who are on the receiving end it can be quite jarring and embarrassing to say the least. It's also a huge source of miscommunication between friends! Good natured teasing can really be a huge part in making or breaking a relationship.

      Delete
  2. Ah, you know what people tease me about a lot? My voice. I hate that. There is quiet literally NOTHING I can do about it so I sometimes just don't talk. It's not even that annoying I just somethings get a little valley girl twang to it >.< with the Likes, and Oh my gods, and drawing out the end of the sentence. Or when I'm angry I talk loud and a little whine haha . It's just so annoying! I can't help it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awful that you feel as though you can't talk sometimes, no one should be able to make someone else feel like that! I'm so against people being teased about things that they can't change. I've had a similar experience where people have made fun of my mouth ( it's can be a little not straight sometimes ) and despite it hardly being visible – they still thought that they had the right to call it out. It's so insensitive!

      Delete
  3. This was such a great post. I really enjoyed reading it <3
    Megan @ https://twitter.com/WordsThatStay1/status/859084115223748608

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Fleur Henley. Design by Fearne.